Saturday, September 2, 2023

Hobby Update September 2023

 I certainly never intended to go this long between posts, but I had a serious case of hobby  something, not sure what to call it, I kept painting, but I was stuck on a particular group and had trouble getting by it until I had to since it was clogging up the works. And here they are;

















In all their glory, The Sea Peoples. 400 points for Impetvs rules, figures are 15mm from Old Glory 15s. Biblical era armies can be a bit of a slog, especially with no cavalry and few options for chariots or any other thing that sucks up points. You are left with scads of foot troops. Yeah I could have gone lighter with them on the bases, but I wanted a certain look. The problem I had was that I would do the bulk of the painting and set them aside for touch up/clean up. About halfway through I was pretty sick of them, but I wanted them done and so the touch up pile grew till I had to just get it done. Then after getting going on another project I found a bag of foot command, and my generals to paint. Having started basing I had to pop a few figs off some of the bases to get the command guys on. So finally, I got this army completed and ready for battle. I am determined to not do that again. I'll break up a large army such as this with some other wildly different project.  

I have gotten a few other things done as well.





The top guy was an exclusive Footsore figure for Model Box, which was a subscription service, with a themed box each month.  These came from the Mortal Gods box. The lower character is Rox, The Model Box Fox, as a hoplite, which was a cool touch. The bases on these are from Alien Lab Miniatures which gives an added thematic feel to what will be SAGA Warlords. 

I also did a number of hoplites







These guys are all 28mm Warlord Games hoplites, with the exception of that random Spartan, he is Victrix. Shield transfers from Little Big Men Studios. The figures are mostly plastic, with a few metal ones thrown in. The plastic ones I had glued together some time ago and I learned a few lessons from that. It is hard to paint behind the shields, it is impossible to do the transfers if you glue on those skirt things first, and it is impossible to get the shield transfers on properly with the shield arms glued on prior. I applied these lessons to the few metal ones in the group, and found it much easier to get the edges of the shield transfers to stick down when I glued the arms on after. I still have over 100 hoplites to do, so, those lessons will save me a good bit of time. If you can see the tufts on these, I got these from Temu. They were about 16-20 a pack for $3, postage was free, so I thought I would try them out. A friend had found these for me. They are pretty good, at least the grass tufts, I wasn't too fond of the flower ones, too big, and the green was too dark. Probably use those more on building bases.

Then I followed up with these




These dudes are 28mm Victrix, from the Peltast and Slinger pack. Nice figures, easy assemble, only downer is that there are only 10 slingers in the pack, unless you are into converting, which I am not. So, since I needed a few more I went to ebay and bough some partial sprues. I'll be using them for the upcoming SAGA league at the end of September. They do come with these tiny shield which I chose to omit. They serve no visual purpose really.

Well, that is all for this round. I do have a ton of painted stuff I am working through basing. So there will be lots of cools stuff 15mm SYW, 20mm WW2 and SCW, as well as 28mm Greeks as I strive to get my SAGA army together. And, there will be a series of posts as I put together a game of Pavia, for the 500th anniversary in 2025.

Catch ya next time.









No comments:

Post a Comment