Saturday, May 16, 2020

Working From Home = More Time Painting

Working from home the last 6 weeks has certainly had its advantages. Breaks and lunch can be spent painting, and since no driving is involved I can work a little later, or have more free time once work is done. This has, of course, led to more minis getting done. Hurrah! So, thus follows the latest off the painting table.

First up are the marvelous figures from the latest Skull & Crown Miniatures Kickstarter Triumph of Death II - Apocalypse. I was in love with these when I first saw the KS and I was not disappointed when they arrived .Beautifully sculpted and cast. I loved every minute of working on these. Plans are a sort of undead Pike and Shotte skirmish type game. We will see how that develops. I have some halberdiers, crossbowmen, and pikemen to paint yet.

Part of one of the command sets

Part of the command set above



The three photos above are a variety of arquebusiers from the KS


These six figures were all stretch goals, the Bishop looking one was a favorite of mine.

Even dead Landsknechts need someone to keep them in line


These two pic are another command set. I really liked this set.









And of course the reason I bought into the KS to start with, The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. I was quite happy with the color I achieved on the pale horse for Death. 

If you like these minis you can find them at the Skull and Crown Webstore They are also starting the Killer Rabbits II KS soon so if you are into anthropomorphic animals that might be of interest. Not sure when that is coming, it said soon.

Next up is a group from the Stoessi's Heroes range. I picked up a few for commanders and the like. A couple I just liked them and wanted to paint them. They have a pretty cool range of figures depicting notable individuals from WW2. If interested you can find them in their webstore

Lt Spears, and Lt Compton from Easy Company

Fallschirmjager Lt Erich Lekpowski and Oberstleutnant Walter Koch

Marine Cpl Tony Stein and Japanese 2LT Hiroo Onoda

Devils Brigade Canadian Sgt Tommy Prince

I had a good time painting these they are well sculpted and cast very nicely. Definitely worth getting. Now the caveat, if you are picky about size you will need to be careful. The Fallschirmjager and the Japanese LT are, IMO, pretty comparable to Warlord, Brigade Games, etc. The BoB guys and Stein are a little bigger, the BoB guys being heftier rather than taller, Stein being a bit taller but not so much he would not fit in. Tommy Prince however, is tall. I don't know if dude was super tall in real life or not, but this figure is really too tall to fit in properly with 28s.

Next is a selection of 20mm Dutch for my Early War project. Mostly a sampling I did paint more than these. Figures are from SHQ. Outside of Minairons, these are the nicest 20mm figures I have worked on. I'll definitely go this route with the Belgians and other troops I still need.  It looks like the range has been sold and moved to a new website as of last week. You can find the new website here. 

A machine gun and an anti-tank rifle

Section of mortars

A selection of poses, regular infantry

This next group are some Kuni Witchhunters from the old AEG Clan Wars range. These are from the Crab Clan. I don't play Clan Wars, though I think I have enough stuff to play it. These will go well in other skirmish games as well as Frostgrave I would think.



I got rid of the square bases they come with, for some more aesthetically pleasing round ones I got off ebay. For some reason I just like round ones better.

Next up are some Footsore Goths




Footsore has a pretty awesome range of metal figures. Lots of detail, well sculpted and cast. I love them. I do need to get more Goths to finish off my army though, probably this summer.. Check them out here 

I was somewhat hesitant to post this next guy even though he is really cool. You see I missed cleaning up some of the mold line and its glaringly obvious in the pics. I'll have to go back and fix that section.  One thing about washes, they really show stuff like that.



Anyway this is Sgt Rox from Model Box. Model box is a subscription service where you receive monthly a box of miniatures and other sundry items along the lines of a theme. This one was War 2.0, the last months was Barbaric. Anyway you usually get a few figures up to a half dozen, a couple of paints, and some other gaming items. As an example,  I've gotten rulers, dice, and paint brushes. In each box there is included an exclusive mini. Up through last year it was a version of Rox, the Model Box Fox, outfitted to match the theme. This year they have been doing an exclusive mini but not a Rox. Though I think this month the exclusive is a Rox. The exclusive minis have all been resin since this one. Sgt Rox was metal. If you want to check them out, just head over to their website and take a look. Regrettably I ended my subscription, but I was just ending up with too much stuff accumulating. I think the value is there, certainly better for those in Europe because of the postage, but, it was always fun opening it up to see what was in the box each month. They do allow you to skip a month here and there, or sign up for specific boxes if you prefer that.

The next grouping is all Vikings. This first pic is a group of Gripping Beast metal figures. They are ok, I am thinking the molds were getting old because the mold lines were pretty bad. These were the best of the group, Probably not a manufacturer I would buy from again. Too many other, better options.




The rest of the Vikings are ones I got in the Norse Model Box back in 2018, yeah I have a backlog. There were six figures in that box overall, somehow the Freya figure from Bad Squiddo got separated, so I'll show her at some later date, when I get her painted. First up is this bad boy from Lion Tower Miniatures



He is a large figure so he would be fitting as a god or hero in a fantasy setting. I really enjoyed working on him. He is resin, which is an awesome medium to work with, IMO. Next up is a mix of Footsore and Warlord Vikings

Left is Rolf the Jolly from Footsore, Right is a figure from the Warlord Games Viking Warlord pack.

These two are the rest of the Warlord Games Viking Warlord pack
Again, a really nice figure from Footsore, somehow I lost his weapon hand and weapon, he comes with a sword. So I cut off an ashigaru hand in my bits box and used a Gripping Beast spear. So he is a bit different than what you see on their website. The Warlord Games guys are their typical fare. I did really like the guy in the bearskin though.

I finished some additional troops for my Warlord Era Chinese army. These are Copplestone Castings. I really like the range. They are well sculpted, and easy to paint. This group had some pretty bad mold lines though. Probably worn molds.


I am really liking the field drab uniform with the sepia wash. It makes a really good combo. You can buy Copplestone figures from Northstar in the UK, or Brigade Games here in the US. Either way you won't be disappointed. Both outstanding dealers. I did up about 24 figures but I decided that since I had so much to post I would do smaller samples of the more repetitive groups.

Next up some 15mm Mexicans for the Mexican American War. 


These are Musket Miniatures. I really like the figures, but, as seems to be the case in this hobby, someone buys a line from the original owner and they vanish from the face of the earth. There is a website that purportedly works and takes orders, but, the owners can't seem to answer emails, so it will be a hard pass for me. Old Glory 15s are a close match so I'll finish up the project that direction. I think too often we give people running these small companies a pass by saying its a small operation, or its just a cottage industry. I say so what. It's a business. Either you want it to be successful, or you don't. If you are running it as a hobby, why bother. OK rant over, that's a pet peeve of mine.

Last, but not least is this grouping. I got all of these pieces in a large lot of gaming stuff I bought for my ebay store (well technically it wasn't a store back then). Since none of it sold for months on end I just decided to keep it and paint it up.





Not sure the make of the Dwarf, but he had no equipment so, I fitted him with a viking sword and shield. He is now set to explore dungeons, or whatever. I thought the middle two would make ok terrain or markers of some sort, and the dino I just said why not? 

Anyway That was quite a lot of stuff. The next painting post should be just as big. Though it looks like I'll be heading back to the office late this week or early next. Stay safe out there and make good use of your time! I will get part 4 of my China trip up today or tomorrow as well.












2 comments: