Sunday, October 16, 2016

Seven Pines A Fire & Fury Brigade AAR

So I travelled to Van Nuys on October 8th to run an F&F Brigade game of the Battle of Seven Pines at the HMGS-PSW Miniwars 2016 Convention. I have been using this set of rules for around 20 years, and it is by far my favorite  for the American Civil War. They have been out of print for some time now, but, I was delighted to find out that the author is updating them and a second edition will be out in early 2017. In the pictures you can see my completed boards that I have been writing about. Here are the pictures of the initial deployments. Since this is an historical scenario they start where they did historically.


Initial Confederate deployment. DH Hills division waiting to launch their assault on the Union lines.


Casey's and Couch's divisions of Keyes Corp hold their respective defensive lines. I used some little trees for the abates which worked well but I could have used another pack.


An overview of the whole board.





Here the Confederates have pushed back Palmer and Naglee's brigades. They fell back to either side of the entrenchments. Palmers brigade is visible to the left.


The Confederates have driven Casey's Division from the first set of earthworks.


Couch's division patiently awaits the Confederate attack.


The Confederates advance on Couch.


Union reinforcements stream in from all corners of the map to stem the Confederate tide.


The Confederates were bringing overwhelming numbers and they are ready for their final push on the second line of reinforcements. The turn after this they moved up and brought a devastating fire on  the Union and were ready to make the final assault. Union reinforcements were too little to stem the Confederate tide.

Overall the game went well. I got to play with a couple old friends Bob Burris, and Bill Rhein. I also had a guy new to historical gaming. It was a good time and I certainly look forward to the next time. Probably Stones River at either Kingdom Con or next years Miniwars.







No comments:

Post a Comment